NAJO Guides | Differences between Sterling Silver, Yellow Gold & Rose Gold
When it comes to jewellery, the possibilities are truly endless with earrings, bracelets, bangles, rings and necklaces not only available in different styles, but also different types of metal.
Sterling Silver has been used in the creation of jewellery as early as the 12th Century, a soft, yet beautiful metal that can be shaped, formed and hammered in a multitude of ways. So, why pick Sterling Silver? Generally, Sterling Silver is stamped or Hallmarked 925, pure Silver would be too soft for jewellery and is generally mixed with alloy components such as zinc, copper or palladium. This means that 92.5% of the jewellery piece whilst the remaining 7.5% is alloy. The 925 hallmark is a great way to identify if the jewellery piece you're purchasing is Sterling Silver. Each piece crafted by NAJO is hallmarked, ensuring a beautiful, quality jewellery piece to enjoy for a lifetime.
"Sterling Silver is a beautiful, and affordable precious metal that will rarely, if ever, go out of style. It's the perfect alternative to base-metal dress-jewellery pieces such as brass or copper. Even better is that Sterling Silver is Hypo-allergenic, each piece of NAJO jewellery is Nickel-free and comes with a years warranty from day of purchase. Not only timeless design, but a beautiful product too."
- Anna, Product Developer
A beautifully, buttery precious metal, Yellow Gold is the perfect way to step up your jewellery game. As Sterling Silver's lavish older sibling, yellow gold can creep up in price. But what if you want to indulge on a budget? Yellow gold plating is the perfect balance between affordability and adding luxury to your jewellery box. Gold plating jewellery is a process where a layer of metal is coated over another metal. Each gold piece at NAJO is Sterling Silver with a 14 karat gold plating, ensuring craftsmanship at every step of the process.
Rose gold isn't too dissimilar from yellow gold, rose gold is a result of adding copper to yellow gold - giving it a beautiful, rosy glow that we all know and love. Rose gold is a fantastic alternative to Sterling Silver and Yellow gold, if you like to wear something a bit different, rose gold is the precious metal for you.
For information on how to look after your NAJO jewellery Sterling Silver and 14 karat plated pieces, have a read of our blogpost titled NAJO Guide | Jewellery Care
Born in Australia, Jo Tory is proud to be one of the country’s pioneering female jewellery founders. She has been our Creative Director since NAJO’s formation, steering the company to be one of Australia’s most successful fine jewellery brands today. Jo also sits on the Jewellers Association of Australia’s Board of Directors, where she actively promotes the highest standards and ethics within the Australian jewellery industry.